VoIP, also known as Voice over Internet Protocol, is a system that utilizes packet-switched technology, as opposed to the traditional circuit telephone networks. VoIP systems fully function over the internet and generate high-quality services for all users. This type of technology enables services to operate over computer and data networks, which in turn, enhances communication needs.
Table of Contents
Most traditional phone systems will give users access to added features for a more expensive cost. These features will be added to phone plans and carried out through set networks and copper wires. VoIP systems will help you to get all additional features for a lower cost through the internet. The best VoIP phone systems will only charge for internet access, while will allow your company to invest in stable and high-end internet providers.
A VoIP server will help your business receive, store, and distribute any data, through a stable internet connection. This type of server is also known as a PBX server, which will give each administrator the freedom to configure each system to their liking. If you wish to link cell phones to this VoIP server as well, this can be done. The only difference is that phone calls taken on your mobile phone will have to go through public phone lines, but will be stemmed from the internet connection.
Related service: VoIP Phone System
If you will be using your mobile phone for business and wish to add VoIP services onto your basic plan, then there are installations that can be made. By downloading software onto your phone you will be able to utilize all VoIP services through your company’s VoIP server. Additionally, if you install PBX software onto mobile phones or work desktops, you will receive better quality calls. In some cases, the local networks will have better quality for certain calls, and by having PBX software installed, calls will be switched from the internet to basic phone lines, ensuring the best quality.
Along with better call qualities, sometimes VoIP servers that are connected to local networks will also provide more security. Since VoIP servers will switch from the internet to local phone lines for calling and tasks, your calls will be carried out on networks that are less congested. If this is the case, you will have more security for all calls taken and the tasks that are being done, leaving your company not having to worry about potential threats.
How Does a VoIP Server Work?
Similar to a PBX server, calls are made through a VoIP router, which is then transferred to the internet in order to carry out the remaining functions. A VoIP server will change voice transmissions into digital data transmissions, making it easier to move from one end of the line to another. When the person on the other end receives the transmission, then each digital transmission will be remade into an original voice transmission, making each data packet into a flowing conversation. There are a few benefits of installing a VoIP server for your business.
- Reduced Rates Per Call- Because VoIP servers use the internet to transmit data, systems such as this are much lower in cost. Packets are sent throughout the internet, and most businesses are able to make international calls for free as well. Prices are dropped because of the low monthly fees charged, optional add ons automatically received, and no traditional phone lines used.
- Easy to Move- Since VoIP systems rely on the internet, this phone system is much easier to move from one place to another. This is beneficial for businesses that are slowly growing and expanding.
- Comes With Various Features- VoIP phone systems have tons of optional features such as video conferences, video calling, voicemail services, call forwarding and multitasking services.
- Reliability- With the internet so easily accessible, hosting a phone system on this type of network is a breeze. Most internet systems are not affected by weather conditions, holidays, or power outages, making this type of system most reliable for businesses.
The Difference Between Local Calls and Long-Distance Calls
Most VoIP providers will offer both services for free, but only if your business is subscribed to their services. Your VoIP provider may let you use a certain area code for making your calls, which could be different from where your business is located. This could mean that making calls outside of your area code is considered a long distance.
If this is the case, you can call your provider and ask for a package that includes “long-distance” calls as well as domestic calls as well. If you choose a provider that includes all this in your set plan, then this will be beneficial. Most providers do permit you to call anywhere for a fixed rate depending on your number of minutes. All it takes is some research into different providers to make the best decision for your company and your chosen package.
VoIP Systems for Calling
Some VoIP providers will offer different options for you to utilize their services. Depending on the package chosen and the need for these services, you can utilize this type of system on many devices.
- With a Regular Phone Plus a VoIP Adapter- Your old work phone is able to be used, but you need to purchase a VoIP adapter as well. These types of adapters can range in costs, and will either plug into your wall socket or the device you wish to use.
- With a Computer- Because most computers work with an internet connection, you can utilize VoIP services with a simple software download. There are countless programs that enable users to take advantage of all VoIP features from a desktop, laptop, or tablet. Making calls from a computer to someone else that has the same downloaded software is free, but if the other end has a different device, then a phone number will be needed. This latter option is sometimes charged for users.
- With a Smartphone or Personal Mobile Phone- Just as on a computer, downloading an application or software will be the only way to utilize VoIP services on your phone. This modem will be used just as a regular phone is used, and calls can be answered and made through your phone.
Recommended: VoIP Cell Phone Services