This post is mostly focused on the training that you need to be aware of when working with a cloud call center. If you want to read an introductory guide on the ins and outs of call centers as a whole, read our previous guide.
Realistically speaking, call centers are the line that keeps your business connected to all customers brought in. They exist because people who are buying your products and utilizing your services sometimes need assistance and are looking for a friendly relationship that will tie them to your business. In some cases, call centers might be the only reason why your business is in fact, a business. For example, if you are working for a tour company, you will have plenty of customers that are calling to book or ask questions about what is offered, which can all be answered by call center agents. Without these said agents, your business might not be successful.
Table of Contents
What is Call Center Training?
Call center training isn’t just all that the agents will need to learn about answering phones, it’s much more than that. Sure, answering phones is important but so is system usage and information recording during each call, which takes some time to learn. The bottom line is that all call center training needs to be hands-on because it’s the most beneficial. Most agents will learn best when they are able to practice answering phones and collecting information, instead of receiving a setlist of how a call should be carried out and following a script.
Related service: Call Center Software
When agents use a more hands-on approach with their trainers, key elements can be taken care of such as tone of voice, empathy, and attitude. From there, agents will be able to nail down a perfect call, separating the great agents from the decent ones. As training goes on, agents are able to practice each reaction with every call, enabling them to improve their performance every time. Of course, we all learn differently, and the best blend of call center training will include a mixture of teaching and training. The trainer must transfer important information to every agent, ultimately following every business’s values and mission, in order to help the agent adopt that mindset as well. By doing so, each agent will have an instilled love for the company and wish to boost whatever aspect of your business they are needed for.
Benefits of Call Center Agent Training
Call center training is highly beneficial and will add lasting benefits for all agents. If your business establishes set guidelines and makes sure that all managers, agents, and full-time employees are on the same page when it comes to sales and customer satisfaction, your business will be highly successful in all that they do. Here are a few of the added benefits that your company will find when hiring a third-party provider.
- Enhanced customer experiences- The better trained your agents are, the better the customer service provided will be. When customers make the call they are looking for, not only assistance but an interaction with someone who actually cares about them. Of course, helping the customer with assistance is the main goal, but by providing friendly conversation and care from each agent, customers will end the call feeling satisfied with each interaction.
- Improved call center agents- With all the training that agents undergo, it is highly beneficial for each business. Agents need to have the skills to quickly connect with customers and help them in any way that is required. By requiring the proper training and teaching, your agents will be more attuned to each customer that calls, making their approaches tailored to what is needed. The more hands-on training agents receive, the more comfortable they will be in all situations that can arise while working. Being able to react well in any presented situation will help agents to stay calm and collected while working. The great thing about allowing agents to master soft skills is that there will be continued improvement.
- Certification of your agents- Call center training also helps with certifying agents. Most of the time, training in any field is beneficial because it impacts business knowledge in all needed aspects. Maintaining up to date knowledge and training by way of certifications will make your business reputation improve as well. This means that ongoing training is also important in order to keep up with all the needed certifications. Even if your business doesn’t require certifications, it might be in your best interest to invest time into this practice anyway, ultimately keeping agents’ skill levels high.
- Soft skills and empathy for customers- Some training will also aid employees in building soft skills. Some businesses will require employees to be kind to customers and speak slowly and in a neutral voice, whereas other businesses train agents to truly show care for each call and inquiry. These two skills might not sound very important, but empathy for customers could be the factor that will make or break your business.
- Self-coaching- This is usually listed as one of the most important parts of training because self-coaching is a powerful tool. Self-coaching can help agents realize on their own what they need to change in order to do their jobs well. Each agent will be more receptive to outside help and personal criticism, which will be beneficial for the work they do. Self-coaching allows agents to focus on the work they do and improve when needed.
Different Types of Agent Training
If your business is looking into the training of employees, it is worth knowing what the different types of training can be offered for employees. There are a few different methods for the training of agents, and we will list the most popular ones.
- On-site training- Just as the name suggests, this training is done at your own company or center. Most agents will learn better if they are taught the ways of the job while being at the office they are working at. With this type of training, agents will be able to thrive in a hands-on environment, meet the rest of the team, and fully get to know the culture of the business. Agents that undergo this type of training will also allow them to interact with managers or supervisors, and answer all questions that arise as quickly as possible. The trainers will also be able to provide feedback immediately, making it easy to change what is needed right off the bat.
- Online training- Online training is any training that occurs via the internet. Training can still be done on-site or from the comfort of an agent’s home. Agents are able to complete all training from a smartphone or laptop, just as easily as they would anything else. This training is done on the agents’ own time and will teach the most basic level of what is needed for their job. Online training is beneficial for smaller call centers and can focus on soft skills, communication methods, and base-level skills. Most training requires agents to watch videos and have very little lecture materials. These courses can also be taken down the road in order to refresh agents’ memories after working with a specific task for months.
- Blended options- This last option for training combines both types of training, which is ideal for both small and large call centers. After agents complete the on-site training, they can reinforce what was taught by online training, making agents well prepared for their time on the job. Most businesses find that this blended form of training works best for their agents and their businesses. Blended training is a very powerful call center training model.
Get Your Agents Trained As Soon As Possible
Call center training truly is one of the best things you can do for your company. Between training new agents, refreshing the previously learned information to current agents, and even preparing for business growth, call center training proves to be beneficial. Not only will your business improve in sales and customer satisfaction, but will also save plenty of in-house costs and resources.
If you do decide that training your agents will be helpful for you and your company, get in touch with local training providers today. By gaining the needed knowledge and learning all the benefits of agent training, you will be able to make the best decision for your business.
Recommended: Outbound Call Centers and the Services They Offer