For small businesses upgrading your PBX, private branch exchange is a big requirement if you wish to lower costs and increase your call quality. Making the choice to make the change is easy, but finding a provider that is exactly what your business is looking for, will be difficult. Depending on your company’s needs and budget, your provider should be able to fit perfectly with what you are looking for.
Table of Contents
Different Types of PBX Systems For Your Business
- Traditional PBX Systems- This type of system gets its name from the traditional lines it uses. Meaning, this system will utilize all its functions by the traditional phone lines and copper wires. This PBX system is hardwired through the copper wires and will make calls through the public network phone lines. Out of all the options available, this traditional system is the most reliable. Traditional systems such as this one offer dedicated lines, providing small businesses with uncongested networks and excellent voice quality. There are a few downsides to this type of system. The ability to add on lines to this type of system is a bit difficult, because of the physical wiring that is involved. Due to this, these types of systems are most suitable for small businesses that have the correct wiring already installed. As long as the needed equipment is present, this can be a great option. The final downside to this type of system is that due to all the wiring and hardware needed, costs are a bit greater. If your small business needs lines and hardware in place, paying for a third party to come for installation isn’t a small cost.
- IP PBX Systems- Systems such as this will use VoIP functions to carry out all that is offered. This means that all information passed through will be done by terms of the internet, and occasional traditional phone lines. All data that is moved from one line to another uses internet protocol. This type of system is much less expensive and doesn’t need any additional hardware installed for use. Since this system is an on-site PBX system, all that is needed upfront are some installation costs and subscription costs. IP PBX is also much more cost-effective per the number of calls that are made. A stable and reliable internet connection is very important because all things are done through this system via the internet.
- Hosted PBX System- A hosted PBX system is similar to an IP PBX but is maintained off-site. Since the provider you chose hosts your system, monthly fees are required for onsite maintenance. This system offers plenty of features that allow unlimited calls to be placed all around the world. Unlike an on-site PBX system, there are no initial installation costs for hardware and software. Adding lines is also seamless because all is done through your provider at their location. The more lines that are added, the cheaper the costs become as well, which is ideal for growing small businesses. This system uses VoIP data transmissions just as the previous system uses, making for better call quality and easier functions completed by way of the internet.
Read our next article to understand what is a PBX system and how does it work.
Benefits of PBX Systems for Small Businesses-
Making the system change for a small business will be very beneficial for many businesses. Customers, partners, and staff will be able to connect easily through any way of communication. Picking the best PBX system is the next step once all the benefits are known.
- Scalability- Your small business will be able to add lines when it begins to grow, and packages will be easily changed if needed.
- Bandwidth- Because two types of PBX systems will utilize internet functions, your connection needs to be able to support these systems. Will your internet provider be able to hold all functions your business is looking for with each system? By checking with your internet provider and testing your internet bandwidth, you will have all your questions answered.
- Cost- Depending on the budget of your business, these types of systems will save the initial costs and long-term costs for your company. Different providers have different contract lengths, billing structures, and additional fees. As stated previously, some systems are hosted on-site, making it imperative that hardware and software are installed, costing your business high fees. By looking into a few different providers you will gain all the knowledge needed to make the switch.
- Features and Usability- Different providers will offer each business different features, so determining what your business is looking for will make finding a provider easier. There are countless features that different systems will offer, making it easy to receive what your business wishes.
- Flexibility- What kind of customization features are you looking for? Most PBX systems are so easily configured and organized so that your business can easily make each system its own.
Some features PBX systems also offer are beneficial to small businesses. The new and modern technology that PBX systems offer small businesses make it easier for these businesses to grow and thrive with all that’s happening around them.
- Unlimited Minutes- Of course, phone calls are essential to all businesses, and growing businesses don’t want to be limited to the calls made. Looking for business plans that include all types of calls and unlimited minutes will be highly beneficial for a budget and costs made over time.
- Mobile Applications- Now that everything is done online, mobile applications that allow configuration and connection to your business, are highly beneficial. This makes work on the go easier for employees and customers, who are calling outside of business hours.
- Auto attendants- Even if you’re not a huge business, phone attendants can still be used to support all customer phone calls. With a helpful integrated receptionist, incoming calls can be routed, or transferred to the proper department. This will allow all lines to be open and organized for the benefit of not only your customers but your employees as well.
- “The Best Business Phone Systems of 2021”
https://www.businessnewsdaily.com/6780-best-business-phone-systems.html Accessed September 12, 2021.
- “Three Types of PBX Phone Systems to Consider For Your Business”
https://www.deltaintellicom.com/three-types-of-pbx-phone-systems-to-consider-for-your-business/ Accessed September 12, 2021.
- “TOP 10 BENEFITS OF A PBX PHONE SYSTEM FOR A GROWING BUSINESS”
https://www.messagingservice.com/blog/benefits-of-a-pbx-phone-system/ Accessed September 12, 2021.