Interactive Voice Response features, or IVR features, can improve the quality of services that your call center provides. IVR can automate workflow and manage customer support even easier than before. This feature can allow your center to create multi-level interactive voice response menus to guide each caller through the options they are presented, and make sure they are always sent to the correct department.
Table of Contents
What is Interactive Voice Response?
IVR is an automated and interactive audio response system that can interact with every customer that calls in. The caller will listen to the IVR system menu, and choose what they wish by selecting a key on their phone, smartphone, or tablet. Once the customer chooses what they want, the system will react and respond accordingly. Based on the customer’s selection, the system will provide that caller with required information such as their account balance or order status, or will route the call to the proper agent.
Related service: VOIP Phones
IVR systems are used for handling inbound calls, but can also be utilized in outbound call centers for outbound notifications. For the latter, this system can remind clients to make payments, or remind clients to callback employees if needed. The beauty of this system is that it can be set up based on your business’s specific needs, allowing your company to work more efficiently and create a professional customer experience.
Interactive Voice Response Features
- Call Flow Designer- This is a feature that can help your business build a customized call flow. A customized call flow acts similar to a road map, that can track and determine where calls will be handled or transferred to. With this feature, you can create more complex call flows for any number your business would like and will have the option to transfer different phone numbers directly to different sources.
- Multi-Level IVR- Multi-level IVR can help your business create several layers, or branches, in the menu. For example, if a customer calling in were to press 1 because they need assistance, then they will be transferred to another menu where they might press 2 for assistance, and then get immediate service for the specific thing they need help with. Calls will be routed to a live agent, who can help the customer with specifics.
- Automatic Routing- Setting specific voice messages and responses in each IVR menu will give your customers that call in the information they need without asking them to wait tons of time for an agent. While using IVR, callers can receive any information they are looking for with the click of a key, instead of being put on hold for a simple question. For example, if a caller is phoning in about their order status, they can simply press and button and receive the information they need. If a caller does wish to speak to a live agent, then this software will route each customer to the more appropriate agent, which will, in turn, improve customer support management.
- Forwarding to a Phone from IVR- This feature is ideal for agents that work outside your business’s main office. IVR can forward customers and employees’ calls directly to the agent’s personal phone number, which will allow agents to speak with customers even when they are not in the office. All that must be done is downloading the proper software onto your mobile phone and syncing it with the IVR software your business is using.
- Sending Calls to Voicemail- Routing calls directly to an employee’s voicemail can also be set up with your IVR menu. With most IVR providers, you can modify and monitor all individual pre-recorded messages. By doing this, you are able to reduce the number of inbound calls which can ultimately save your team 80% of their time.
- Efficient Customer Support Management with IVR- There is no need to route all customer calls to a live agent, especially if it’s not necessary. This feature creates benefits for all involved, from your employees to your customers. Customers who don’t wish to speak with a live agent can easily find the information they are looking for through the IVR menu, and customers who are calling in order to speak with a live agent will be routed to the most appropriate agent. This means that agents do not need to deal with repeated questions or speak with a customer and route them properly. For example, IVR can record information that your customers are frequently calling about, such as business hours, contact details, or the address of your business, and input this information into the IVR menu. That way, when customers are calling about this information, they will be able to easily access it without taking up an agent’s time.
- Email Reports- Customers can input the information they wish to seek into your IVR menu as well. This works similar to that of a survey, because at the end of each call, customers will be able to choose if they were satisfied or not, and if they are not, they can tell the menu what could be improved. If a customer wishes to do this, then your business will receive an email report, stating what the customer wishes to change. From there, the feedback each customer gave can be implemented into your IVR menu.
There are plenty of additional features that businesses might also be happy to implement into their IVR system. Some of these added benefits include, call recording, callback, predictive dialers, SMS/Text message functions, and smart dialers. Along with these, IVR systems are able to increase first contact resolution and also increase the agents and companies efficiency. Overall costs may also be reduced because IVR systems can take the place of needing a full time agent to sit and answer the phones, routing callers, and answering customer questions.
Interactive Voice Response Systems are the Way to Go
IVR systems allow almost all companies to thrive with high call volumes. All customer calls will be able to be handled easily, and have the opportunity to be sent to agents that are the most capable of meeting customer needs. Regardless of what department the customer chooses, they will be routed right away, leaving all callers impressed with your company’s professionalism.
Recommended: VoIP Certifications